Notes to Editors
With a rich heritage dating back to the 1750s, Coats is the world's leading industrial thread and consumer textile crafts business, at home in more than 70 countries, employing more than 20,000 people across six continents. Revenues in 2013 were US$1.7bn to which the Industrial Division contributed $1.2bn.
Coats’ trading over the first half of 2014 continued to improve, with consolidated sales for the period increasing by 2% year-on-year, continuing the positive sales trend experienced during 2013. At the half year, Industrial Division revenue rose 5% year-on-year, primarily due to strong growth in Asia and EMEA in both the core Apparel and footwear category and within Coats’ expanding Specialty business. Double digit sales growth was delivered in key markets like India, Turkey, USA and Vietnam due to share gains and market growth.
Our well-known brands and strong relationships with customers and consumers mean our products and services meet current and future needs. Our company-wide understanding of our business partners and consumers, coupled with the deep expertise of our people, builds trust and certainty.
Coats’ pioneering history and innovative culture ensure the company continues leading the way around the world: providing complementary and value added products and services to the apparel and footwear industries; extending the crafts offer into new markets and online; and applying innovative techniques to develop products in new areas such as tracer threads, aramids and fibre optics.
- One in five garments on the planet is held together using Coats’ thread
- 100 million car airbags are made using Coats’ thread every year
- Coats produces enough yarn to knit 70 million scarves a year
- In three and a half hours, Coats makes enough thread to go to the moon and back
- 400 million pairs of shoes are made every year using Coats’ thread
- One million teabags using Coats’ thread are brewed every 10 minutes
- Thousands of surgical operations take place every day using Coats’ thread
- Thomas Edison used Coats’ thread in 1879 to invent the light bulb
- Coats produces enough thread to reach around the Equator every 11 minutes
- Coats is the second largest and fastest growing global zip manufacturer