Notes to Editors
About Red Heart
Red Heart is proud to be America’s favorite yarn and one of the most trusted brands in yarn. For over 75 years, more people have chosen to make their heirlooms using Red Heart than any other yarn. Red Heart yarns stand for quality, largest color selection, fashion and above all else, crafted with love. Whatever your creativity calls for, you’ll find it in the Red Heart family. Explore our free patterns and vast yarn selection for every level of knitter or crocheter – they have a little bit of love woven into every strand. www.redheart.com
About the American Red Cross
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org or visit us on Twitter at @RedCross.
With a rich heritage dating back to the 1750s, Coats is the world's leading industrial thread and consumer textile crafts business, at home in more than 70 countries, employing over 20,000 people across six continents. Revenues in 2014 were US$1.7bn.
Our well-known brands and strong relationships with customers and consumers mean our products and services meet current and future needs. Our company-wide understanding of our business partners and consumers, coupled with the deep expertise of our people, builds trust and certainty.
Coats’ pioneering history and innovative culture ensure the company continues leading the way around the world: providing complementary and value added products and services to the apparel and footwear industries; extending the crafts offer into new markets and online; and applying innovative techniques to develop products in new areas such as tracer threads, aramids and fibre optics.
- One in five garments on the planet is held together using Coats’ thread
- More than 100 million car airbags are made using Coats’ thread every year
- Coats produces enough yarn to knit 70 million scarves a year
- Every three hours Coats makes enough thread to go to the moon and back
- More than 450 million pairs of shoes are made every year using Coats’ thread
- In 1879 Thomas Edison used Coats’ thread in his experiments to invent the light bulb
- Every week over one billion teabags are brewed using Coats’ thread
- Coats produces enough thread to reach around the Equator every ten minutes
- Thousands of surgical operations take place every day using Coats’ thread
- Coats is the second largest and fastest growing global zip manufacturer