For more information contact:
Kristina Blissett, Communications Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
T +44 (0)208 210 5084, M +44 (0)7714 539887
Bill Watson, Managing Director, Vietnam, email@example.com
T +84 838 960309, M +84 (0)9793 81533
To download accompanying images go to: www.coats.com/imagelibrary
Notes to Editors
With a rich heritage dating back to the 1750s, Coats is the world's leading industrial thread and consumer textile crafts business, at home in more than 70 countries, employing over 20,000 people across six continents. Revenues in 2013 were US$1.7bn.
Our well-known brands and strong relationships with customers and consumers mean our products and services meet current and future needs. Our company-wide understanding of our business partners and consumers, coupled with the deep expertise of our people, builds trust and certainty.
Coats’ pioneering history and innovative culture ensure the company continues leading the way around the world: providing complementary and value added products and services to the apparel and footwear industries; extending the crafts offer into new markets and online; and applying innovative techniques to develop products in new areas such as tracer threads, aramids and fibre optics.
- One in five garments on the planet is held together using Coats’ thread
- 100 million car airbags are made using Coats’ thread every year
- Coats produces enough yarn to knit 70 million scarves a year
- In three and a half hours, Coats makes enough thread to go to the moon and back
- 400 million pairs of shoes are made every year using Coats’ thread
- One million teabags using Coats’ thread are brewed every 10 minutes
- Thousands of surgical operations take place every day using Coats’ thread
- Thomas Edison used Coats’ thread in 1879 to invent the light bulb
- Coats produces enough thread to reach around the Equator every 11 minutes
- Coats is the second largest and fastest growing global zip manufacturer
About Coats Phong Phu
This joint venture between Coats and Phong Phu Corporation is one of the oldest joint ventures in Vietnam, having started in 1989 when the company was then known as Tootal Phong Phu Ltd. The Hanoi office was established in 1991 and the footwear operations began in 1998. In 1999, the company name changed to Coats Phong Phu and in 2001 the Danang office was established. In 2005 a representative office was established in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
Coats Phong Phu has won a series of external awards, including the 3rd class Labor Medal from the Vietnam Government in 2001, the Saigon Top 40 Award in 2004 and the Excellent Textile Enterprise Award four times (2004, 2006, 2008 and 2010). Coats Phong Phu also has an outstanding track record internally at Coats, having been awarded the Chairman’s Award for Teamwork for the last two years running and 2012 Business of the Year.
Phong Phu Corporation is part of the Vietnam National Textile and Garment Group (Vinatex), which is one of Vietnam’s largest companies. Vinatex consists of more than 50 joint stock companies and 40 joint venture companies principally involved in the manufacturing of textile-related products. Other company sectors include fashion magazines, fashion design institutes, textile industry vocational schools, real estate, import-export companies, and retail establishments.