Notes to Editors
- Coats Protect sewing threads can be made available in any substrate, thread size or colour without affecting sewing performance or chemical properties
- Colour fastness properties are in line with Coats high levels for existing bonded and soft sewing threads
- Coats Protect threads meet a number of recognised anti-bacteria tests including: AATCC TM90 and ASTM M90 (microbiology activity)
- Some medical gowns and sportswear applications may not be suitable for anti-microbial thread if they are laundered regularly. Coats Protect threads are effective for at least 100 industrial laundry cycles or the life time of a garment
With a rich heritage dating back to the 1750s, Coats is the world's leading industrial thread and consumer textile crafts business, at home in more than 70 countries, employing 20,000 people across six continents. Revenues in 2011 were US$1.7bn.
Our well-known brands and strong relationships with customers and consumers mean our products and services meet current and future needs. Our company-wide understanding of our business partners and consumers, coupled with the deep expertise of our people, builds trust and certainty.
Coats’ pioneering history and innovative culture ensure the company continues leading the way around the world: providing complementary and value added products and services to the apparel and footwear industries; extending the crafts offer into new markets and online; and applying innovative techniques to develop products in new areas such as tracer threads, aramids and fibre optics.
- One in five garments on the planet is held together using Coats’ thread
- 75 million car airbags are made using Coats’ thread every year
- Coats produces enough yarn to knit 65 million scarves a year
- In three and a half hours, Coats makes enough thread to go the moon and back
- 300 million pairs of shoes are made every year using Coats’ thread
- One million teabags using Coats’ thread are brewed every 10 minutes
- Thousands of surgical operations take place every day using Coats’ thread
- Thomas Edison used Coats’ thread in 1879 to invent the light bulb
- Coats produces enough thread to reach around the Equator every 11 minutes
To find out more about Coats visit www.coats.com
For this release, more Coats news and media images click here