Notes to Editors
Coats is the world’s leading industrial thread manufacturer and a major player in the Americas textile crafts market. At home in some 60 countries, Coats employs 19,000 people across six continents. Revenues in 2016 were US$1.5bn.
Coats’ pioneering history and innovative culture ensure the company leads the way around the world: providing complementary and value added products and services to the apparel and footwear industries; applying innovative techniques to develop high technology Performance Materials threads and yarns in areas such as automotive, composites and fibre optics; and extending the crafts offer into new markets and online.
Headquartered in the UK, Coats is a FTSE 250 listed company on the London Stock Exchange.
- Each year we make enough thread to go into 8 billion pairs of jeans - that’s one for every person on the planet
- Every month Coats produces enough thread to stretch all the way to the sun
- More than 450 million pairs of shoes are made every year using Coats’ thread
- More than 100 million car airbags are made using Coats’ Performance Materials thread every year
- In 1879 Thomas Edison used Coats’ thread in his experiments to invent the light bulb
- Our Red Heart knitting and crochet yarn brand has been named ‘America’s Most Recommended’ by the Women’s Choice Award for three years running
- Our flame retardant Performance Materials threads can withstand temperatures as high as 1,000 degrees Celsius
- Coats is the second largest supplier of zips to global brands
About Elemental Motor Company
Elemental Motor Company was founded in 2012 with the aim to develop a cutting edge and lightweight sports car in the form of the Rp1. The company is part of Elemental Group Ltd, and its manufacturing facility is based in Hambledon, Hampshire, UK. With core specialisms in high performance automotive and racecar engineering, vehicle dynamics and systems, advanced composites technology, advanced manufacturing, vehicle design and styling, the team at Elemental Group has over 120 man-years of experience at the cutting edge of British Automotive Design.
For further information visit: www.elementalcars.co.uk.